The commuter project is almost done:
This is the unglamorous pre-blocking shot. I think I want to do more with the brim. I added a lining of Blue Sky Alpacas Dyed Cotton in 1x1 ribbing to be nice and comfy against the ears, since this beanie is made to be worn low over the eyebrows and ears, what Mr. Bob likes to call "sensitive thug". I prefer to call it cloche. Semantics.
You can see the distinctive "X" shape of the double increases done on alternate rounds. I used yf, k1, yf for the increases (yf = yarn forward - like a yarn over, done in the reverse direction. If that makes no sense to you, you can just do a yo and on the following row remember to knit it through the back loop so that it twists and does not leave a hole). As you can see, I still need to thread the tail through the cast-on and tighten it, as well as give this a good washing and blocking.
This is the with the hem/lining turned up. I used odd scraps in sky blue, lemonade yellow, and honeydew green.
Pattern: my own Top-Down Ribbed Beanie
Modifications: Done in stockinette, hem added. Increases worked as yf, k1, yf (yf = yarn forward, like a yarn over in the reverse direction).
Yarns: Ella Rae Classic in Turquoise Green, 1 skein (with some left over) and Blue Sky Alpacas Dyed Cotton in Sky Blue, Lemonade Yellow, and Honeydew Green, probably about 20 - 30 yards total but don't take my word for it.
Needles: 16" Addi Turbo Circular size US 6 - link is to Knitter's Review needle review